About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Childhood Comfort – Bean and Bacon Soup

 

P1080430

When I was very young Bean and Bacon Soup right out of the Campbell’s Soup can was my very favorite.  Today I needed some comfort so this was the perfect soup to end the day. It was cold and windy and cloudy grey outside all day long and I wanted something warm and comforting for dinner. I thought a bean soup would be tasty.  It was a hearty and delicious soup that that family loved.  I enjoyed the salty flavor of the bacon with the creamy beans and soft carrots. I served this soup with grilled ham/cheese sandwiches. Seriously this was a quick and easy recipe with very little clean up - perfect for a week night meal ~ a delicious as well!

Bean and Bacon Soup:

  • 1 lb of lean bacon
  • 3 large carrot, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3 15 1/2-ounce cans white beans, drained
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 4 tablespoons flour

 

P1080429

In a large soup pan oven, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. Let cool, chop, and set aside. Divide in half and save for topping to bowl of soup.

Over medium heat, add the carrot, celery and onion to the pan drippings in the pan and sauté for 7 minutes; add the garlic and sauté for an additional 60 seconds, stirring constantly. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste.

Add 2 cans of beans, bay leaf and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the carrots and celery are soft.

Uncover and remove the bay leaf. Using a potato masher or an immersion blender, partially mash the bean mixture until it thickens slightly. Make a roué of the butter and flour, stir into the mashed mixture until very smooth. Stir in the last can of beans, parsley, rosemary, and bacon. Taste and re-season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, if needed.

P1080431

No comments: