About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Friday, April 15, 2011

Bread Sticks aka Olive Garden Style

For as much as the family, friends, and I love bread, I rarely make bread sticks.
They seem like an extreme amount of intensive labor!
P1080544
Today, I definitely  had to make an exception.
P1080546
These bread sticks are amazing!  Great flavor, and really easy to make.
Served with Chicken Cacciatore, fresh fruit, and salad, perfect for a Friday night dinner.
Olive Garden Breadsticks
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
  • 16 ounces bread flour (3 cups)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened

  • On top:
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt



  • Begin by dissolving the yeast in the warm water and sugar in the mixing bowl. 
    I’m the proud owner of a Kitchen Aid Mixer – Mom & Dad bought it for me many years ago…and it is still going strong!
    Let this mixture rest for 10 minutes.
    Add the melted butter, salt, and 1/2 cup flour and begin mixing.
    P1080535
    continue adding the flour 1/ cup at a time; and mix using a dough hook. 
    P1080536
    Knead for 6 – 8 minutes.
    Allow the dough to rest, covered for ~45 minutes, in a oiled bowl. 
    Then, shape into  10 – 12 bread sticks measured to 2 oz each. Allow dough to rest again for 45 minutes.
    P1080537

    P1080538



    P1080539




                                           P1080540





    Bake at 400 for ~7 minutes
    Meanwhile, mix together 2 T melted butter, 1/2 tsp. sea salt and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder.
    P1080542

    Brush each breadstick with melted butter mixture.
    Then, bake for ~8 more minutes, until lightly browned.
    Brush the rest of the melted butter over the breadsticks.  Serve warm. Try not to eat more than your share!
    P1080543

    1 comment:

    Nancy Mc said...

    I'm going to try this bread stick recipe. Mine never work out.