About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Fishing with My Dad




Little Girl and Her Dad Fishing

Today I'm remembering back to my youth and the many opportunities I had to spend time with my dad, who thankfully was willing to spend many hours with me.

Dad was a great fisherman and I thought of myself as a great “Fishergirl”…. The problem I had was….and still is, when the time would come to put a worm on the hook I would squirm (you know like the worm itself)…. I'd pretend that I couldn't do it right, so Dad would always hook the worms for me. Thanks dad.

One of the really great parts of fishing is learning the art of casting. Dad told me I could cast like an expert. I loved that feeling of throwing the line way out into the lake, then just sitting back in the boat and simply waiting for a fish to nibble on the worm. I really believed I was an amazing caster….is that a word, sure it’s someone who can cast!

The next part of fishing is waiting patiently. Waiting was not easy as a child, but the sights and sounds of life on the lake were so beautiful. The waves of watering lapping up against the side of the boat, birds soaring in the air, and the sun warmth shining on us made life grand. And yes I learned to wait quietly and patiently for minutes that sometime seemed like hours without a nibble.
Fishing was only one of the many opportunities I had to be with my dad. But most of all today, I'm thanking God for my Dad who took the time to lead his only daughter to the lake fishing, to teach her some of the greatest lessons of life while waiting for the fish to bite. The lessons I learned sitting next to my Dad, in the fishing boat, are a treasure in time that I will cherish forever. I hope and pray I have passed many of those lessons onto my own children and now grandchildren. I am so thankful they have all had the opportunity to fish with the greatest!

2 comments:

Nancy Mc said...

Great Memories! Thanks fof posting this. Makes me think...

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Oh my goodness - what a wonderful "re-membery" for you! Feel as though we were all there beside you.