About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Book Club October 2007 ~ Deb's Home

Today I think I have recovered from BC. I usually like to post the very next day, so my memory serves me well, but this time I needed a few days to regroup.

Deb is an amazing hostess. Her home is adorable, beautiful, cozy, darling, effeminate, fabulous, gorgeous, .........and the rest of the alphabet words for spectacular. The food was probably the very best meal we have ever had ~inside joke~! Honestly, we had steaks ~ that's a first for our group!

This month we read Quentins by Maeve Binchy. In this novel Binchy incorporates several characters from her previous novels into the action at Quentins ~ Signora from Evening Class, Ria from Tara Road and several others. We have read Evening Class and Tara Road, both of which I enjoyed. Quentins was well received by most of the group. I, of course, loved it! Lots of similarities in my life and Ella's....no - no vile Don Richardson in my life, but I am an only child, a teacher, and I have met and fallen in love with some very interesting guys. My DH is no exception. He is one to put his heart and soul into his work, which is what most of the characters in the novel did.

Of course, while reading this novel, you can see the ending, all happily ever after, coming a mile away, even so we all found something to like about Quentins. I loved the restaurant! Let's go out to eat!

Probably the best thing we should have received from the story (and the night's conversation in general) is how different people react to bad things that happen in life, and how some of those reactions help you to heal and move on, or will lead to bitterness or guilt, or worse.

The positive affirmations all over Deb's home motivated me to add some to my home, and leave this post with one for the road ~ "You are in charge of what enters your mind." Try not to waste precious energy complaining. It is far better to face what is bothering us and to do something about it than to dwell on something negative that dampens our spirits and the spirits of those around us.

3 comments:

heidi @ ggip said...

Wow, you have a really big book club. How long are your meetings I'm wondering? We only have 5 women in our group and ours last 1 1/2 hours, and I can't imagine how long it would be if we had twice that many people!!

Looked like fun.

Anonymous said...

i loved your description of the night. you are a great one to find the positive in situations. i think that i am going to put my 'it's not too late...." in MY bedroom. Trying to find the +++
BC is ALWAYS so very fun. i am so grateful to have the amazing women that we have in our group, and the am very grateful for the things that i learn from each one of them. Deb's house inspired me!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

You look like you are surrounded by good friends, good food, good fun and good books! I love reading as well, however I don't belong to a book club as yet. I am just finishing Still Life With Chickens and I really like it.
Thanks for visiting my blog & leaving such warm, kind notes!