About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Winter Solstice


Winter Solstice…..tomorrow the sun reaches its lowest point on the horizon, making it the shortest day of the year. What? No….not like in we have less hours in the day, December 21st has twenty-four hours just like any other day. But it’s called the shortest day because it has the fewest hours of daylight.

The shortest day, for me, is the beginning of cold, nose-dripping and nose-nipping weather!

Our ancestors had it right, fires were a part of solstice celebrations — not only to provide light in the darkness, but also to symbolize the burning away of the old year – I think it was to keep warm! DUH!

This is my idea of a great tradition, bring in the yule log on December 21 and keep it burning until Christmas…maybe New Years. It is suppose to bring good luck if you keep it burning for 12 days. Since we have a gas log….how about we just leave that baby on and keep the house at a toasty 75 degrees….I’ll be loving every minute of it and DH will be freaking -crazy-mad! So who do you think will prevail with this tradition?

No comments: