About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Friday, December 12, 2008

Perigee Moon

A night-time spectacle….no you can’t see Neil Armstrong’s footprints……but holy molly it looks like a cosmic spotlight!
Look how well J did with his camera….he captured (perfectly) the smallest lunar feature that most people can see with the naked- eye: the Sea of Crises or Mare Crisium (MAH-ray CRISS-ee-yum).
This is my attempt....not bad if you are looking for vampire moons!

This picture came from Wikipedia
A mare (MAH-ray) is a crater that filled with lava that afterwards cooled and solidified into basalt. We study the moon in 3rd grade, mare was one of favorite vocabulary words.

Although Mare Crisium is not the smallest sea on the Moon, it is a mere 260 miles in diameter, spotting it is quite an accomplishment, so you can see how proud I am of J’s abilities to capture it with his camera.
Venture outside and take a look at this marvelous moon....but beware of the weirdos that might be lurking close by.

No comments: