About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Tuesday, December 30, 2008


Several years ago, and many times since, we had dinner at Macaroni Grill. I fell in love with their rosemary bread, which of course, put me on a quest to recreate this luscious loaf.
My first chore was to plant rosemary in the garden, which I did. Winter was not kind to my precious herb, so each year I procured a new little plantlet. Finally I have found a garden spot that loves my rosemary.....very close to the foundation....given warmth by my drier vent....I'm lovin' it...even in the cold of winter!

This is my version of the recipe, there are many on the net, I tweaked until I got the fine-tuned recipe I'm in love with. It takes some work, but the aroma and comfort that come from the oven makes it all worth every minute.

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups water, warm 110 degrees
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons honey
2 tablespoons yeast
4 1/2 cups bread flour
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
Cornmeal ---to sprinkle on baking sheet

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Directions:
Mix the water, yeast, and sugar together with 1/2 cup of the flour and let sit for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile heat the olive oil and garlic together over low heat for two minutes to lightly cook the garlic; do not brown.

Combine all remaining ingredients and mix until a stiff dough is produced; knead for 6 to 8 minutes....lucky me I have a Kitchenaid....thanks mom!

Place the dough in a mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap; or towel; let rise for 1 hour or until
double in bulk. Note if you lightly oil the dough before covering with plastic wrap, it will be easier to remove from the bowl without sticking after it has risen.

On a floured surface, divide the dough into two equal parts and form into two round loaves by shaping them with your hands. Place on baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise for thirty minutes.

Gently remove the plastic wrap without pulling on the dough, pierce the dough directly in the center with a sharp knife or other pointed implement. Push firmly from the top of the dough all the way to the bottom of the pan, quickly remove the knife or implement.

Immediately place the dough into the pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly on wire racks.

Yields 2 loaves.....Enjoy with seasoned dipping oil.

4 comments:

Nancy Mc said...

Looks yummy. I love your post headings. I guess I need lessons on that too!!!
HAPPY 2009!

Annette and Scott said...

I can just smell the aroma as it bakes! Can't wait to get a kitchen again so I can try it...I too have a rosemary plant up by the foundation so it stays alive all winter...thanks for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful New Year! Love Ya!!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

This sounds great! And, I too have a m=Kitchen Aid mixer, so WHOO-HOO! I'm gunna make me some bread...Mmmmm!

Barbara said...

This sounds so good. We don't have a Macaroni Grill anywhere near us so I've never tried theirs, but yours sounds great and I have all the ingredients. I'll have to try it this weekend.