About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Today is Johnny Appleseed's Birthday. We celebrate this day with lots of activities in the classroom. Apple weaving, reading the story of Johnny, and tasting fall fresh apples.

My Grandma made the best apple dumplings around. I'm sharing her recipe with you today. My recipe is tattered, torn and stuffed deep in my 3 X 5 card box.

When Ali developed diabetes, I put desserts on the back burner. I'll save her an apple without out all the frills. There is no easier way to add a dose of nutrition to your day than by crunching on a tasty apple. Apples are high in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and 12,000 other phytolitic health guardians. Fat free, cholesterol free and supplement free, they protect your heart, prevent constipation, improve lung capacity, slow the aging process, cushions your joints and "Keep the Doctors Away". So enjoy an apple today, however you like them!

Apple Dumplings
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 Tablespoons butter
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup milk
6 medium whole apples peeled, cored and cut into wedges
Set oven at 375 degrees

Directions:
Combine sugar, water, cinnamon, nutmeg, bring to boiling. Add butter.
Combine flour, baking powder and salt; cut in shortening. Add milk all at once and stir just until flour is moistened. On lightly floured surface, roll out 1/8 inch thick until it's an 18 x 12 inch rectangle. Cut with knife or pastry wheel into 6 squares.


Place apple wedges into each square.


Sprinkle each apple generously with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; dot with butter. Moisten edges of squares. Fold corners to center and pinch edges together. Place 1 inch apart in ungreased 11 x 7 x 1 1/2 inch baking pan. Pour syrup over dumplings; sprinkle with sugar.
Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until apples are done.


Serve warm with cream.

3 comments:

jayedee said...

hi LeAnn! thanks for visiting my blog. i looked thru yours for your email addy, but no such luck. mine is ntiveheart@cfl.rr.com, give me a shout and i'll send my addy for the swap! have a blessed day!

Anonymous said...

what are you doing up so early?
Thanks for getting the pictures developed-and paid for!

La Dolce Vita with LeAnn said...

Well, I guess I didn't get the lullaby muffins made. Only awake about 3 hours in the middle of the night last night.