About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Monday, September 24, 2007

A Good Nights Sleep ~ Is That Possible with Lullaby Muffins?


Peaceful, gentle sleep...isn't that what is suppose to happen when you finally lay your head down? Well, blogging, teaching, and keeping up the home has not made it easy for me to get that. Oh sure, I get in bed at a decent hour, but often find myself wide awake (or is that a hot flash?) around 3:30 AM, thinking of what I need to do or needed to do! So I've done some homework and I found a list of the top 10 foods that are suppose to help one get a good nights sleep. Several sources listed that same 10 foods, so that's good enough for me. They are suppose to relax tense muscles, quiet buzzing minds, and/or get calming, sleep-inducing hormones - serotonin and melatonin - flowing. YAWNING YET?

Here's the list along with a recipe for Lullaby Muffins.
1. Bananas
2. Chamomile Tea - I like Bigelow Sweet Dreams Camomile & Mint
3. Warm Milk - don't gag but I always add soda crackers (my dad's favorite)
4. Honey - drizzle a little in your Chamomile or warm milk
5. Potatoes - small baked --ymmmm!
6. Oatmeal - I know it's suppose to be a morning thing...who knows?
7. Almonds
8. Flaxseed - sprinkle a couple of tablespoons on your oatmeal
9. Whole wheat bread - a slice of toast with your milk or tea great idea!
10. Turkey - It's the most famous source of tryptophan, credited with all
those Thanksgiving Naps.


Lullaby Muffin Recipe


2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon baking powder

2 large, very ripe bananas

1/3 cup applesauce

1/4 cup honey

1/2 cup milk or soymilk
Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, combine the flour (make sure it's whole-wheat pastry flour or you'll produce golf balls, not muffins), salt, and baking powder. In a blender, puree the bananas; add the applesauce, honey, and milk. Blend well. Pour the banana mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Line muffin tins with paper muffin cups, pour in batter, and bake 30 minutes or until tops are lightly brown and slightly springy.
Nutrition FactsPer serving: 119 calories; 1g fat; 2.5g protein; 27g carbohydrates; 10g sugars; 133mg sodium; 3g fiber; 35mg magnesium

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I have the EXACT same sleeping problems you mention. 3:00 a.m. That's me. And I am absolutely without a doubt certain that mine can be blamed on the hormones I have recently decided to free myself of.

Yes, there are other symptoms. Thanks for the fun advice.

Anonymous said...

I too have the same problem. I have been told that our bodies are made to naturally produce melatonin. And it is done by sleeping. So if I am not sleeping well, I am sure my body is not producing the much needed melatonin. So sometime I take a couple of mg's. Not often, but just when too many non sleep nighta have run together.
It would be great if I had energy to get up and do something while I am not sleeping;-)

La Dolce Vita with LeAnn said...

Good morning ladies, maybe we should start a new get together group, I see both of you are awake bright and early this morning. I'm hopping over to Becky's site this morning to hear about her day.

La Dolce Vita with LeAnn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Thank you for your prayers for those sweet girls. And the verse is a good one. It encouraged me today. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

crackers in milk is an all time favorite....although it makes my friends gag when I tell them about it.