About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Sunday, October 5, 2008

It's Fall and I've fallen from the blog world! I miss keeping up with everyone, but I can't seem to keep up with myself these days. School break is just one week away and I've got lots of plans to keep me even busier....hmm how can that be?

Today I decided the tomatoes probably won't last much longer in the garden so I made my favorite tomato soup. Of course, I think it is just about the best you can ever have, but believe me it is work! I juiced my own juice and roasted my own tomatoes, needless to say........my kitchen looks like it needs the tidy maids to come over. I didn't take any pictures of the process, because my hands were to dang busy. Here is how I put it all together:

4 Tablespoons melted butter
1 medium onion, diced
46 ounces of tomato juice..mine was straight from the garden
28 ounces of diced roasted tomatoes...again right from the garden
2 Tablespoons of chicken base
3 Tablespoons of sugar
Salt
Pepper
1 cup cream sherry
1 1/2 cups half and half
chopped fresh parsley......yes I have some in the garden
chopped fresh basil..........yippees I have some of that too

Saute' diced onion in butter until translucent. Add roasted tomatoes, tomato juice, sugar. Bring to a near boil. Add the cream sherry and
thicken with a white sauce roux made from 4 T butter and 4 T flour, pour in the half and half to make the roux.

Lucky me I have a hand blender (Bamix.....remember, we bought them at the State Fair back in 1985 or so)I stir the whole pot together with! Garish with parsley and basil (if you are lucky enough to have some).
I'm telling you it is work, but definitely worth every calorie.

See you all later....I'm off to have soup!

2 comments:

Nancy Mc said...

Looks oh so Yummy! Glad you are back to blogging-I've missed your updates:)

Anonymous said...

1985...yep I remember, that is the same year I registered to win the 4-Wheeler....didn't happen. Really could use that now.