Sweet Potato Cupcakes
2 Cups All Purpose flour
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 C butter, softened
1 1/4 C sugar
1 pound sweet potatoes, roasted, peeled and mashed
1/4 C milk
1 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix first 5 dry ingredients, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time.
- Add sweet potato, milk and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Add flour mixture beat until just combined.
- Fill 24 paper lined muffin tins 2/3 full.
- Bake for approx 18-20 minutes or until tops spring back when touched.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, remove and cool completely on wire rack.
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
¼ cup soft butter
½ cup baking cocoa
8 ounce cream cheese (room temperature)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
The butter needs to be really warm, but not melted. Stir the cocoa into the butter and mix well; whip in the cream cheese & add vanilla, scraping the sides of the bowl frequently so that you get a nice smooth butter-cocoa-vanilla-cream cheese mixture. Beat in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, beating until really smooth in between each cup.