About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Flowers for Decoration Day

Yes, I know it is now called Memorial Day.
Yes, I understand the purpose of this day is to honor those who have fought for our freedom.  Yet, I am not a fan of war.  War kills people and destroys human creation; but as though mocking war's devastation, flowers inevitably bloom through its ruins and life returns to what war has destroyed. I am grateful to all those who have fought for our freedom and I  honor their service. 
Yes, because of my family traditions I know it is also a day devoted to picnics, road races, graduation celebrations, and hopefully a few double-headers. 
My grandmother was one to celebrate this day with flowers from her garden – taken to the cemetery to adorn the gravesites of those who have passed on.  She did it faithfully every year of her life.

Driving along the road I happened to notice the flowers she always used on Decoration Day. Memories immediately came to mind about how much I loved being her granddaughter and being able to walk along side of her as she carefully placed those beautiful flowers. 

The quote from Neil Gaiman seems so fitting for how I remember her wisdom and Decoration Day.
DSC_0288
“I hope you will have a wonderful year, that you'll dream dangerously and outrageously,DSC_0289
that you'll make something that didn't exist before you made it,DSC_0290
that you will be loved and that you will be liked, DSC_0293
and that you will have people to love and to like in return.DSC_0297
And, most importantly (because I think there should be more kindness and more wisdom in the world right now),























that you will, when you need to be, be wise, and that you will always be kind.”
DSC_0294
May we all enjoy our freedom, our blessings, and our loved ones.  And may our gardens grow with peonies, snowball bushes, and bridal wreath…to celebrate life anew!

No comments: