About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Friday, February 5, 2010

Bean Soup

Bean Soup

On a wintery cold day comfort food always calls to me. This bean soup got my attention today because I met a nice elderly man in the grocery store who was buying dried beans. I knew from the minute he said hello to me that he knew what he was doing with bean soup! He had that accent that screamed….Yes madam I know how to make bean soup. Also the store had ham hocks on sale today…………I’ve never cooked a ham hock in my life!

So here is to my mid-winter life……..a pot of Bean Soup for the weekend!

Ingredients:

1 - 2 lbs of ham hocks

1 cup onion, chopped

2 carrots shredded

2 – 3 stalks of celery chopped

1 quart of “Dad’s” home grown bottled diced tomatoes…..maybe you can buy that in a grocery store!

1 tsp chili powder

Juice of 1 lemon

1 –2 cloves garlic, minced

2 sprigs of rosemary

1 20 oz bag of dried “Bean Soup” beans

Salt and Pepper to taste

Method:

Place rinsed beans in a pot with 3 quarts of water. Bring to a rapid boil. Reduce heat, cover and continue boiling 60-70 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. After 60 minutes, add ingredients. Place everything in your favorite crock pot and continue cooking for several hours. I cook mine most of the afternoon.

1 comment:

Nancy Mc said...

I love ham hocks-kids hate them. Soup looks yum. Thanks for the Jason Tonioli website. Love the music. I need someone that can really play the piano to come to my house before his music will ever sound good on my piano:)