About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Wednesday, March 4, 2009




Since I was a small child – a long time ago – I have been friends with Lyn. 7 weeks ago she started teaching at the same school I do and also moved in with us until the end of the school year. She is an amazing cook and spends more time in the kitchen than I could ever imagine. She also has an scrumptious rice pudding recipe that I'm sharing with all of you today. It takes a great deal of work so plan on at least 2 hours in the kitchen. She uses a variety of short-grain rice called pudding rice/ Extra Fancy Calrose; this is the type used the world over in sweet dishes and is best of all, in my opinion, for good Old-Fashioned Rice Pudding. It is very sticky when cooked and, simmered in milk, becomes deliciously soft and creamy.
I was home sick yesterday, thus a nice warm batch was made, and I'm enjoying it this morning for breakfast....still a little under the weather! "What does under the weather" mean anyway....shouldn't it be "Under the Covers"!
Good luck making the rice, I promise you will love every bite after your hours of work!
4 cups water - boiled
1 tsp. salt
2 cups extra fancy calrose rice
Boil 7 minutes or till water is gone
Now add:
1 gallon of milk
1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
Boil till quite thick - about 2 hours on a very low heat - stir almost constantly - you don't want it to scorch! ~ Very tedious part of the process!
Beat together 12 eggs with 4 tsp. vanilla. When the rice mixture is quite thick add some of the hot rice mixture to the egg mixture. Then pour this mixture gradually into the rest of the rice mixture, stirring well. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon and sugar...Add whipped cream if you need a few more calories!
PS.....because I don't have a huge pan in my kitchen wares...we made 1/2 a batch! Lyn can't believe I don't have yet have a 10 quart pan for making this delicious recipe!

1 comment:

Amber Thompson said...

Warm it up! I'm on my way ;)
Under the covers, that's funny. Totally what it should be called!