About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Sunday, September 14, 2008

My Last Quilting Day 2008

Here it is...the very last quilting day I will have with 3rd graders. For about 7 years my BFF Nancy has actually done most of the quilting. I have helped put the quilt on the frames and supervised the students while she teaches them how to quilt the beautiful thing. The quilting day started after I first read the story "The Keeping Quilt" by Patricia Palaco. We spend the week talking about traditions and many of the students bring quilts that grandmas and moms have made for them. Thursday night Nancy and a few other helpers put the quilt on the frames.......all ready for the kids on Friday morning.
This year we had about a dozen volunteer helpers....including a very young grandma and 2 dads. How fun is that! This is Cameron and Helen. Helen is my #1 substitute teacher! She can do anything I ask her to!
We can only have so many kids around the quilt at a time.....a few years ago we broke Nancy's frames.....so sorry girlfriend. Anyway while a few of us quilt the rest of us are doing paper pattern quilts. They always turn out wonderful.
Mrs. Pitcher, our librarian, is so kind to let us take up the whole library!
It takes us about 3 hours to get the project all finished. That of course doesn't include the binding......BFF takes the quilt home and finishes it off!
Climbing under the quilt is almost more fun than being on the top side.




Here are the 2 dads that showed us their talents. Jonah's dad really does know how to quilt. Jill's dad is a good sport and did a great job. He even took care of bandaging up a little guy who had had a bike accident on Thursday night.


TA - DAH ALL FINISHED!
Here is my cute class with the many volunteers and my BFF forever right in front. I love this project. I'll miss this part of teaching school when I'm retired!

1 comment:

Nancy Mc said...

This is a project that I am sure the 3rd graders will remember for the rest of their lives. I remembered this morning that I have a job to get it finished. Will get on it SOON.