About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Saturday, November 17, 2007

BC November 2007

You see if you go to bed at 2:00 AM it is very difficult to wake the next morning and organize your thought patterns into anything intelligent about what you did the night before. So maybe the quote “What happens at BC stays at BC”…not a chance.
…..and I do hope we don’t offend anyone by calling our Book Club “BC”
Especially those folks in Australia who are banning the Christmas phrase HO HO HO… (another topic for another day)

….oh my attention drifted, must be lack of sleep. Back to BC

Our book for November was Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen.

6 of us loved it and would recommend it to someone
2 of us said it was just So – So and probably wouldn’t recommend it.
Everyone had read that book so that must say something for the story.

I was host for BC this month and selected this book because 916 reviews on Amazon.com gave it 4 ½ stars and all this too:
2006 Quill Awards nominee for General Fiction
2007 Alex Awards selection
Entertainment Weekly Best Novel of 2006 nominee
New York Times Best Seller list for 12 weeks in 2006
BookSense #1 pick for June 2006
Winner of the 2007 BookBrowse award for most popular book
The paperback hit #1 on the New York Times Best Seller list on July 8,
2007
I thought it was a terrific read, which only kindled my love of reading…how hard can that be? Reading is the greatest of great escapes. Reading is permission to simply be, to exist in another world, and Water for Elephants definitely took me into the world of a bizarre lifestyle.
I know there are people out there who are disgusted by the notion of women meeting to discuss books, but after reading a book that totally rocks my world, I would be sorely disappointed if I didn’t have anyone to share my enthusiasm with. We harangue, enlighten, and laugh with and at each other, the conversation usually switching between the book, our careers, our talents we share, -- and occasionally -- our own lives. I LOVE BC.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved BC. One of things things that I love about BC is that we talk about the book, then we talk about something else, then the conversation comes back to the book. We do this many times, yet during it all we share our loves. I look forward to BC each month. It is a real blessing in my life.

Mrs. Darling said...

Okay now im going to have to read this. I never heard of it before!