Good Morning Sunday – Everyone wanted homemade pancakes today and they actually turned out fabulous! Watching Sunday Morning about Food reminded me that my passion is really cooking and watching the ones I love enjoy eating it. This is definitely a recipe that will be used over and over again. Fruit of choice will be substituted during season. Of course, Blueberries are always in the freezer ready for any delicious moment!
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp vinegar* (white wine or apple cider)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- blueberries as you like
- Combine the milk and vinegar and let the mixture curdle while you mix together the other ingredients.
- In a big bowl, whisk to combine the whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, melted butter, and the curdled milk, until it looks fairly homogenous and smooth. Whisk this wet mixture into the dry ingredients, and stir the two together until just barely mixed. You want any visible loose flour to be stirred in, but there should still be plenty of lumps. If you stir out the lumps, the pancakes will likely be tough. Carefully fold in blueberries or dot the top of each pancake with them as you place them on the griddle.
- Preheat a nonstick griddle to 375 degrees F and grease the surface with butter. Add small scoops of pancake batter and use the cookie scooper to gently smooth the scoop into a flatter circle. Cook for a few minutes, until you start to see little bubbles forming on the surface. Flip the pancakes with a turner and cook for a few minutes on the other side, until you peek underneath and see that the bottom is golden brown. Serve with butter and real maple syrup. Enjoy!