About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Banana Cream Pie

I know this pie well... tasty_tuesday[1] Banana Creme Pie

- this pie can be inhaled in a less than 24 hours

- On occasion, this pie and I have shared a 2am rendezvous, with me standing in front of the fridge with mouth watering before the door is opened.


- Ignorance is bliss - I know NOT to figure out calorie count in this dessert!


As you can see, I am very familiar with this delicious pie. Knowing my weak tendencies, I don’t make it very often, because, with the winter season just around the corner, I certainly don't need the extra fat and calorie….. but I could definitely hibernate into oblivion with this pie.

This pie is the reason I have a double boiler pan in my cupboard! I love this recipe because it’s the way my grandmother and mother both made their cream pies… by slowly stirring the pastry cream over steaming water to get a rich, velvety pie filling. And I loved that little taste of vanilla added just before the creamy pudding is ready to be pour into the pre-baked shell.

Did I say “I love banana cream pie”? Well the truth is I love all cream pies but truly banana cream is my favorite. When I make the recipe I’m always concerned with the bananas turning brown. After a little research I decided to try a little fresh lemon juice on the bananas before I put them into the shell….It worked. See how lovely they still look after a full day! Okay without delay here is the recipe….mostly for my own benefit so I don’t have to dig through all those recipe cards every time!

INGREDIENTS:

2 T. butter

3/4 cup sugar

1/3 cup flour

1/8 t salt

2 eggs well beaten

2 cups heavy cream

1/2 t. vanilla

Combine butter, sugar, salt, flour & eggs. Add milk slowly, stirring constantly while cooking over hot water until thick and smooth. Add vanilla flavoring just before pouring into a pre-baked shell. Bananas have been layered on the bottom of cooked pie crust.

Of course serve it with more beautifully whipped cream!

No comments: