About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Tembleque ~Puerto Rican Style Coconut Pudding

 

I’m not Puerto Rican.   (Shocking, I know ~ la dolce vita.) But with enough influence from those who are we decided to give this dessert a try. This elegant dessert from Puerto Rico - the name means "quivery" - is a treat for the eye as well as the taste buds….yes, I licked the pan!  It’s name in English means trembling, due to its gel-like, trembling.  I was so excited to try this simply because of my love of banana cream pudding and when I found the recipe I thought it sounded exactly like the recipe for banana cream pie aka coconut! 

I was also craving something sweet to remind me of sunnier, childhood days of carefree times in the shade with my grandmother, so I decided to make tembleque.  Tembleque is a coconut custard, and it’s extremely easy to make.  It can be served in small custard dishes similar to pudding, or inverted and taken out of a mold like a panna cotta.  We put ours in custard dishes so everyone can have their own little treat!

 

P1090099

Ingredients

    • 7 ounces cream of coconut ( approx 1/2 can)….not coconut milk!
    • 2 1/2 cups milk
    • 1/2 cup cornstarch
    • 4 tablespoons sugar ( or to taste)
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla

    Topping

    • ground cinnamon, and or flaked coconut

Directions

  1. In a double boiler combine milk and cream of coconut,corn starch, and sugar mix very well.
  2. Stir constantly on medium high until mixture begins to boil and gets thick. Add vanilla
  3. Let boil a couple more minutes still keep stirring, then you can either pour into individual dessert cups or a mold.
  4. Let cool on tabletop, then refrigerate.
  5. Top with garnish of ground cinnamon, and or flaked coconut.
  6. Enjoy!

No comments: