About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Essence of Childhood

 sentimental_sunday[1]

rocking chair

This is my rocking chair….I’ve had it since I was 5 years old…circa 1955.   It has survived numerous moves from my parent’s home, to several rented apartments, and now it resides in my home.  It brings back so many fond memories and leaves me with a smile each time I see a child rocking away.

There is no question in my mind, it is a beautiful heirloom, hopefully to be handed down to my grandchildren, to then be given to their grandchildren.  When it was new it was covered with red and grey leather.  It has since been recovered a couple times, each time it was upholstered to match the furniture in the living room of my home.  Mom had it upholstered with leather when I first got married.  It matched perfectly and I loved it.  When my children were born, they enjoyed the chair as much as I had as a little girl.  Several of our puppies have also enjoyed the wood rockers, their little teeth marks remain on every corner!  I haven’t had the heart to replace them with new wood. 

The leather furniture was moved to the “Hanger”  several years ago, so now my little rocker is covered to coordinate with the colors in our home once again.   It is a sweet temptation for children whenever they come into our home.  They rock and rock and rock!  

So fun to go back to one’s childhood and find memories forever to keep reliving. 

and I found a picture from yester-years…….look at those cute kids!

 Chair

No comments: