About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Baked Strawberry French Toast




This weekend Lyn's sweetie joined our family for fun, laughs, and lots of food. His compliments were so welcomed.....what an awesome guy he is.
Where did today's inspiration come from?
While staying at Hayhurst B&B, cute Louise always comes up with the perfect breakfast for our group. This year we were treated to delicious Baked Strawberry French Toast.... Jim (Louise's hubby) hates it when we have dessert for breakfast, but if you are looking for a nice breakfast or brunch dish for a special occasion this French toast casserole fits the bill, because all of the work can be done a day in advance and it is incredibly delicious.
Ingredients:

16 oz loaf of French bread, cubed into bite size pieces
8 oz package of cream cheese, cubed into small pieces
6 large eggs
1 quart Half & Half
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup maple syrup

Topping:
16 oz container of frozen, sliced strawberries - I use fresh strawberries when I have them
10 oz strawberry jam

Directions:
Arrange half of cubed bread in a lightly greased, deep 9 x 13 pan.
Sprinkle with cubed cream cheese, and cover with remaining bread cubes.
Whisk together eggs, Half & Half, butter, and maple syrup.
Pour evenly over the bread cubes, making sure they all absorb the egg mixture.
Cover with foil and refrigerate for 8 hours. (I suggest preparing the recipe the night before, and refrigerating it overnight).
Bake covered, for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Uncover and bake another 30 minutes, until the top is golden brown.

While French toast is baking, combine and heat topping ingredients in a saucepan.

Cut French toast into 8–10 servings. Plate each serving, then ladle heated topping onto each serving.
Buon Appetito

2 comments:

Nancy Mc said...

That looks yummy. Trav suggested that I try a 'french toast' casserole next Christmas. I will have to try this long before then.

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Mmmmmmm...Weight Watcher's be damned - this may be on my list of "to do" :-)