About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Are You Afraid of the Dark?.....How About Monsters?
















Fortunately for me I was born in the 1950 which makes me a lucky member of wonderful fraternity.....the "Monster Kids". Monster Kids grew up with horror films and Aurora Monster Model Kits.
In the early 1960's my cousin and I had a very creepy collection of many cinematic creatures, actually they were Aurora Monster Model Kits that cost us (my Aunt Mary) under a dollar....they are now going for close to $100 on eBay! The pictures above are the ones I remember us spending hours putting together and painting on Aunt Mary's kitchen table. Frankenstein came out in 1961. It was an instant success and I think we both made one of him that summer! The Aurora plants ran 24 hours a day to keep up with the demand for the model. They followed with 12 more monster kits over the next five years and we continue to make them as soon as we got to Aunt Mary's every summer!
What a great childhood memory and how lucky we were to have an aunt who would let little "Girls" build monsters! She never complained about the mess we made all over the kitchen table every day and was happy to walk us down to the local Woolworth's and buy us the kits, glue, brushes, and paint to make our 'Nightmares' come to life!

Life is good!

No comments: