About Me

My photo
I would say that I am curious, vivacious, gregarious, sometimes funny, intelligent, easy going, very passionate about the things I love, caring, thoughtful, and kind. Maybe that is a little over the top, but I think you can count on me to be very honest. LOL

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Asian Cooking ….Perfect Every Time….BY ME??

 

P1080320

I am very intimidated by any recipe that is from the Asian cuisine.  I remember going to an Asian Grocery Store many years ago and asking the gentlemen about the art of cooking rice……His response,  “You can’t do it…come to me I cook it perfect every time!” ….in his very cute accent.

Since that day my rice cooking seems to have failed me and I never really want to try any recipe because we have so many amazing restaurants close enough that take out is always a hit!   The internet has several recipes for Kung Pao Chicken and with most of the ingredients on hand I decided to give it a try.  DH and DD love spicy…I’m not a fan so since I’m doing the cooking I temper the degree of spicy every time! 

Of course I’m serving this with white rice, and pot stickers on the side.  I think it was a big hit, quick and very easy to cook.  

Kung Pao Chicken:

  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast, diced into bite sized chunks
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 tsp sesame oil
  • 4 green onions, chopped
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 1-2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (less if you don't want it really spicy..a pinch for me …way less than a tsp)
  • 3 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1-2 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
  • White rice

P1080319

Prepare rice. Combine chicken and cornstarch in a bowl and toss until evenly coated. Combine the vinegar, soy sauce and sugar in another bowl and set aside for later. Heat a large skillet or wok with sesame oil over medium high heat. Once the pan is smoking hot add the chicken and stir fry for 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.


Add the garlic, ginger, red pepper and green onions (save some for garnishing) to the pan and stir fry for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the soy sauce, vinegar and sugar mixture to the pan along with the cooked chicken and peanuts. Coat the chicken and peanuts with sauce and heat thoroughly. Serve over rice and top with remaining green onions. Enjoy.

No comments: